We're located @ 5501 Colorado Avenue, NW, Washington, DC
Here’s our menu in one easy link!
As always, it’s open rain or shine! The latest weather for tomorrow is: cloudy & windy (according to Accuweather?!) rising to 54 degrees by 1 PM.
NEW this week: Music with Emma G, 10AM
Community Alliance for Upper 14th Street presents:
End of Season Sweet Potato Pie Baking Contest
A friendly competition for neighborhood bakers
Judging begins @1030AM
Where: 5501 Colorado Avenue, NW
Bring 2 pies (1 to sell & 1 for judging)
(Proceeds benefit market SNAP matching program)
Pies will be judged on appearance, crust texture, filling & flavor.
- A team of judges will individually judge the pies using a scoring system. Each category will have its own winner but the highest cumulative scoring pie will be the overall winner. Winners will be announced at 1130 AM. Spectators welcome!
Volunteer and sponsor opportunities abound this season. If interested, please email me..
Belle Prairie Farm, our only Certified Naturally Grown veggie farm, is finished for 2017. They offer CSA shares for the Spring. Here’s the contact #:301-300-0340.
Garner’s Produce is offering:
Let's get warmed up to Thanksgiving with a sweet potato pie recipe from Grammy winning Patti Labelle: Many of your favorite farms offer this delicious and versatile vegetable.
- Red and White Sweet Potatoes
- Green, red bell peppers (Big and Beautiful!!)
- japanese white turnips
- leaf lettuce- heads or loose leaf
- Kale and Collard Greens
- Sweet candy onions
- Large red tomatoes
- peppers- yellow, purple
- Anaheim, Jalapeno, Serrano, Poblano, and Cayenne Hot Peppers
- Summer Squash-- zucchini and yellow
- Canning Tomatoes
- Ornamental and Edible Pumpkins/Squash
- Shelled Beans- black-eyed peas and cranberry beans
- Cherry tomatoes
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Early girls, romas, yellow low acid, green tomatoes
- Roma Beans and yellow wax beans
- Green beans
- New Potatoes
- Eggs (not sold at all markets)
- Strawberry Preserves, Hot sauce, Bloody Mary Mix, Pasta Sauce
- Fall Squash- Butternut, Acorn, Kabocha, Delicata, Etc.
- Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli
- Fresh Cut Herbs- Basil and Mint
- Arugula and Salad mix
- Apples - Autumn Crisp, Crimson Crisp, Ever Crisp, Crimson Jonagold, Daybreak Fuji, Empire, Gala, Golden Supreme, Grimes Golden, Honey Crisp, Jonathan, Macoun, Nittany, Northern Spy, Royal Court, Snap Stayman & Zestar
- Asian & Bartlett Pears
- Kiwi Berries
- Green Beans
- Eggplants - Regular & Fairytale
- Kale - Dino, Red Boar & Green Boar
- Red & Yellow Onions
- Peppers - Colors, Green, Habanero & Hot
- Summer Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
- Swiss Chard
- Tomatoes - Cherry & Green Zebra
Groff's Content Farm Will have fresh chickens, their delicious chef prepared meals from Degrees of Cooking using Groff's sustainable meats. They will also have their regular mix of pastured ] free range chicken & turkey, pastured beef, and lamb products.
Zeke's Coffee of DC will be offering their great usual mix of small batch roasted coffees, hot and cold coffee by the cup.
& Stone Hearth Bakery will have their same great options this week.
I Confect is back for 2017. Made in Union Kitchen Ivy City, DC, I Confect specializes in treats and baked goods using all natural ingredients. For the very first time @ markets, I Confect is premiering quiches, both regular and gluten free. Specializing in pound cakes, nuts, and more, what's your confection?
Sirene Botanicals: Featuring fresh herb baskets, dried florals and wreaths.
Tigersoap is back on for this week.
Ruby Scoops is finished for 2017.
DPW to Kick Off DC's First Citywide Food Waste Drop-Off Program in our Neighborhood! Come Compost with Us!
The Department of Public Works (DPW) is continuing the citywide Food Waste Drop-Off program for Ward 4 at 14th & Kennedy Farmers Market on Saturdays from 9am-1pm District residents wishing to compost the food waste they generate from home for FREE are encouraged to bring, in a sealed container, acceptable compostable food waste items such as fruits, vegetable scraps and food scraps made from grains (breads, grains, cereals , rice and pasta), coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, egg shells, household flowers and nuts and nutshells. Food dropped off at all sites will be turned into compost soil, a natural soil additive that helps grow new food and plants. DPW's Food Waste Drop-Off is a free service, with sites implemented in all eight wards by the first week of June (additional sites will launch in conjunction with the opening of the farmers market season). More information is available at: dpw.dc.gov/foodwastedropoff
Coming Attractions for April 2018 include:
- More vendors & more excitement
The 14th and Kennedy St. Farmers Market (14Ken FM) is looking for volunteers to assist with programing and sponsorships for the 2018 market season. A full description of volunteer responsibilities can be found below. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Desiree at email@example.com.
Farmers Market Volunteers Needed - 2018
1. Entertainment Coordinator: Primarily responsible for booking non-kids tent related entertainment for the market. Types of entertainment could include:
- Cooking classes
- Fitness/health & nutrition classes
2. Sponsor Solicitation & Coordinator. Responsibilities include:
- Recruiting local business to sponsor the market this season
- scheduling sponsor appearances at market
- ensuring sponsor incentives (public recognition/appearances) are given as promised
3. Kids-tent Coordinators. Responsibilities include:
- scheduling entertainment for kids tent
- promoting entertainment for kids tent via social media and email listserves
- re-ordering supplies for tent, as necessary
- assisting with set-up/break down of kids tent, as available
We love to support neighborhood organizations. We offer fruit or vegetables for one time events, gift certificates for silent auctions or raffles. We also consider other ideas you might have to support the neighborhood. Please contact Jim Coleman @ 2026818799 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are on the hunt for new artisan food vendors now. If you know of a vendor who would be adaptable to the market’s needs and experienced on morning oriented outdoor events to be an artisan food vendor, we would love to talk with you about this, contact Jim Coleman @ 2026818799 or email@example.com.
Produce Plus, DC’s fresh veggies incentive program, is finished for the year.
Our gracious neighbor, Moreland’s Tavern, will be open @ 4PM Saturdays from here on out.
Thanks for coming to 14th & Kennedy Street Farmers Market. Thanks for another great year @ the market! The neighborhood is supportive of the market and we think you rock for coming. We can’t do it without you. What do you want @ market? Do contact us @: firstname.lastname@example.org whenever you’d like.
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the web.