Here’s our menu in one easy link!
As always, it’s open rain or shine! The latest weather for tomorrow is: mostly sunny (according to Accuweather?!) rising to 72 degrees by 1 PM.
NEW this week: Music with Emma G from 10AM to Noon!...
If you have time to volunteer @ the kids' tent and know more folks interested, please email me and Desiree Frame (email@example.com) as we're looking to line up more kids tent activities and performances.
Volunteer and sponsor opportunities abound this season. If interested, please email me..
Belle Prairie Farm, our only Certified Naturally Grown veggie farm, is back on for their second season. They also offer CSA shares, inquire within. This week they are offering:
- Lots of heirloom tomatoes
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 kinds of basil
Garner’s Produce is offering:
It’s about time to figure out what to do with butternut squash. Many of your favorite farms offer this delicious and versatile vegetable.
- Red and White Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet banana peppers
- Kale and Collard Greens
- Sweet candy onions
- Large red tomatoes
- Bell Peppers- green, red, yellow, sweet mix
- Anaheim, Jalapeno, Serrano, Poblano, and Cayenne Hot Peppers
- Eggplant-8 varieties
- Summer Squash-- zucchini and yellow
- Canning Tomatoes
- Ornamental and Edible Pumpkins/Squash
- Cherry tomatoes
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Early girls, romas, yellow low acid, green tomatoes
- Roma Beans and yellow wax beans
- Green beans
- New Potatoes
- Eggs (not sold at all markets)
- Strawberry Preserves, Hot sauce, Bloody Mary Mix, Pasta Sauce
- Fall Squash- Butternut, Acorn, Kabocha, Delicata, Etc.
- Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli
- Fresh Cut Herbs- Basil and Mint
- Arugula and Salad mix
- Apples - Autumn Crisp, Crimson Crisp, Crimson Topaz, Crimson Jonagold, Daybreak Fuji, Empire, Gala, Golden Supreme, Grimes Golden, Honey Crisp, Jonathan, Macoun, Nittany, Northern Spy, Royal Court, Snap Stayman & Zestar
- Asian & Bartlett Pears
- Kiwi Berries
- Green Beans
- Eggplants - Regular & Fairytale
- Kale - Dino, Red Boar & Green Boar
- Red & Yellow Onions
- Peppers - Colors, Green, Habanero & Hot
- Summer Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
- Swiss Chard
- Tomatoes - Cherry & Green Zebra
Groff's Content Farm Will have their new smoked turkey slices, their delicious chef prepared meals from Degrees of Cooking using Groff's sustainable meats. They will also have their regular mix of pastured Berkshire pork & sausage, free range chicken & turkey, pastured beef, and lamb products.
Zeke's Coffee of DC will be offering their great usual mix of small batch roasted coffees, hot and cold coffee by the cup.
& Stone Hearth Bakery will have their same great options this week.
I Confect is back for 2017. Made in Union Kitchen Ivy City, DC, I Confect specializes in treats and baked goods using all natural ingredients. For the very first time @ markets, I Confect is premiering quiches, both regular and gluten free. Specializing in pound cakes, nuts, and more, what's your confection?
Sirene Botanicals will be back at the market on November 18th..
Tigersoap is back on for this week.
Ruby Scoops will be back this week with their delicious and unique ice creams and sorbets?
Our entertainer this week: Emma G (weather permitting).
DPW to Kick Off DC's First Citywide Food Waste Drop-Off Program in our Neighborhood! Come Compost with Us!
The Department of Public Works (DPW) is continuing the citywide Food Waste Drop-Off program for Ward 4 at 14th & Kennedy Farmers Market on Saturdays from 9am-1pm District residents wishing to compost the food waste they generate from home for FREE are encouraged to bring, in a sealed container, acceptable compostable food waste items such as fruits, vegetable scraps and food scraps made from grains (breads, grains, cereals , rice and pasta), coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, egg shells, household flowers and nuts and nutshells. Food dropped off at all sites will be turned into compost soil, a natural soil additive that helps grow new food and plants. DPW's Food Waste Drop-Off is a free service, with sites implemented in all eight wards by the first week of June (additional sites will launch in conjunction with the opening of the farmers market season). More information is available at: dpw.dc.gov/foodwastedropoff
Coming Soon for Vendors: Many irons in the fire but no confirmed vendors...
Coming Attractions for October include:
- October 28, Fall Festival @ 14th & Kennedy Farmers Market with Dogs on The Curb & Halal Kitchen, Yard Games, Pumpkin decorating, music with The Market Band
- November 7, Pumpkin Recycling - Compost Cab.
Fall Festival @ 14th & Kennedy Farmers Market
Date: Saturday October 28, 9am-1pm
Background: CAUFS/14th St sponsors this event. This festival/market will be a great place to showcase what a staple the market has become in the community!
Schedule of Events:
9:45 am: Kids Halloween Costume Parade
10 am – 12 pm: Music by The Market Band
11 am: Halloween “Thriller” Dance Class led by Dance Loft
11:30 am – Pie Contest Winner Announced
Food by: Dogs on the Curb & Halal Kitchen
Activities: Pumpkin Decorating, Scarecrow Making, Yard Games
- Parents will assist their own kids
The 14th and Kennedy St. Farmers Market (14Ken FM) is looking for volunteers to assist with programing and sponsorships for the 2017 market season. A full description of volunteer responsibilities can be found below. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Desiree at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farmers Market Volunteers Needed - 2017
1. Entertainment Coordinator: Primarily responsible for booking non-kids tent related entertainment for the market. Types of entertainment could include:
- Cooking classes
- Fitness/health & nutrition classes
2. Sponsor Solicitation & Coordinator. Responsibilities include:
- Recruiting local business to sponsor the market this season
- scheduling sponsor appearances at market
- ensuring sponsor incentives (public recognition/appearances) are given as promised
3. Kids-tent Coordinators. Responsibilities include:
- scheduling entertainment for kids tent
- promoting entertainment for kids tent via social media and email listserves
- re-ordering supplies for tent, as necessary
- assisting with set-up/break down of kids tent, as available
We love to support neighborhood organizations. We offer fruit or vegetables for one time events, gift certificates for silent auctions or raffles. We also consider other ideas you might have to support the neighborhood. Please contact Jim Coleman @ 2026818799 or email@example.com.
We are on the hunt for new artisan food vendors now. If you know of a vendor who would be adaptable to the market’s needs and experienced on morning oriented outdoor events to be an artisan food vendor, we would love to talk with you about this, contact Jim Coleman @ 2026818799 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have secured funding for unplugged acoustic music at the market. The rate is $75 a week and we would love to have folks in the neighborhood playing at market. If you’ve always wanted to try it, this may be your golden opportunity.
Produce Plus, DC’s fresh veggies incentive program, is finished for the year.
Thanks for coming to 14th & Kennedy Street Farmers Market. The neighborhood is supportive of the market and we think you rock for coming. We can’t do it without you. What do you want @ market? Do contact us @: email@example.com whenever you’d like.
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the web.