As always, it’s open rain or shine! The latest weather for tomorrow is: partly cloudy rising to 86 degrees by 1 PM, with some showers after 10 AM.
In honor of 17th annual National Farmers Market Week (NFMW, August 7-13), we are reminding folks why we do our work. Why should I spend my hard earned grocery dollars at my local farmers market?
- When folks come to the market, they are more likely to spend money nearby.
- Want to know how your food was raised? Ask a farmer, they know just how they grew their food.
- Both the nearby rural and local economies benefit when you buy food from your local farmer.
- Want to know how fresh the food is? Just ask your local farmer. They will be happy to tell you.
- Increase fresh food access to food deserts.
- Support fair pay for local farmers.
- Fresher food tastes better.
Produce Plus, DC’s fresh veggies incentive program, is back this week at the market. We have checks for 40 customers only, sorry. We also have a limited amount of checks for the Fruit & Vegetable Prescription program.
El Tianguis - Tacos may be done for the year.
This week’s menu includes:
Belle Prairie Farm (our only peer to peer certified organic vegetable farm) will be on hand this week with the following items:
- Zucchini blossoms
Also in smaller quantities:
- Swiss Chard
- Patty Pan squash
Garner’s Produce -
- Tomatoes large red,heirloom,roma,cherry tomatoes
- Hot Peppers- Jalapeno, cayenne, anaheim, serrano
- Zucchini, patty pan, ishtar, Golden Zucchini, and yellow squash
- Fresh cut herbs - basil, mint, parsley, thyme & sage
- Purple peppers
- Green beans & Yellow wax beans
- Green tomatoes
- Red & yellow seedless watermelons
- Bell peppers
- New potatoes
- Green cabbage
- Large Cucumbers
- Pickling cukes
- Sweet onions
- Roma flat beans
- Jams, jellies, butters, hot sauce, daiquiri mix
- Hot Pepper Jelly
- Pumpkin & Sweet potato butters
- Cameo, fuji, Goldrush & Pristine apples
- White & Yellow Nectarines!
- White & yellow peaches
- White Donut peaches
- Red raspberries
- Free range hen eggs
- Cabbage - Regular & Chinese
- Regular & Fairy tale eggplant
- Dino, Green boar & red boar kale
- Red & Yellow onions
- Hot Peppers
- Green peppers
- Salad Mix
- Arugula Mix
- Summer squash
- Swiss chards
- our value added goods.
Sugarcane Sweets will be back on August 13th.
Groff's Content Farm Here are the featured pre made entrees this week from Groff's Content Farm & Rebo's Pocket Cafe: Mushroom, spinach & sage sausage strata, white lasagna w/ground turkey breast & basil, Sweet Italian sausage kale & ricotta manicotti, zucchini & goat cheese frittata (vegetarian). They also have their delicious: pastured Berkshire pork & pork sausages, fresh free range hen and duck eggs, free range whole chickens and parts, and grass fed biodynamic beef.
Zeke's Coffee of DC & Stone Hearth Bakery will have their same great options this week.
We’ll welcome fresh farm grown flowers from your neighbor, Lisa Washington & Sirene Botanicals.
We will have Produce Plus, DC’s fresh veggies incentive program, back this week at the market.
Coming Kids’ Attractions for this month include:
This week: Kids’ tent is active and in full force.
Coming Attractions for next month include: DDOT’s Rock Creek East Livability Study on August 13 & The Market Band on August 20.
Thanks for coming to 14th & Kennedy Street Farmers Market. The neighborhood is supportive of the market and we think you rock for coming. We can’t do it without you. What do you want @ market? Do contact us @: firstname.lastname@example.org whenever you’d like.
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the web.